Depositing money using the PayU method for Luno customers in Nigeria ensures that funds reflect near-instantly in your wallet. To do this, all you need to have is a bank account with funds in it and a bank card with the 3D Secure service activated.
Sign in to the Luno app, select Wallets, and then Deposit on your NGN wallet. Then follow these steps:
- From the selection choose Debit or credit card with PayU
- Enter the amount you wish to deposit according to the limits specified
- Confirm the amount and deposit fee, then select Continue to PayU
- Once redirected to PayU, fill in the credit or debit card details, which include the card number, cardholder name, the expiry date, and the CVV number. Once entered, select Continue
- Next, you'll receive a one-time pin (OTP) to your phone, enter it in the Enter OTP field, and then hit the Pay option (see FAQ for first-time PayU users below)
- Once the deposit is successful, you'll receive a confirmation screen in PayU that confirms that your transaction was successful
- Finally, select Continue and you'll be directed back to Luno with a transaction success screen
Frequently asked questions
Which banks are supported?
Any Luno customers in Nigeria with 3D Secure-activated cards (Mastercard and VISA only) can use the PayU deposit method. Most major banks in Nigeria offer this security measure for their customers, but if you’re unsure, we suggest that you check with your bank.
Will I be charged a deposit fee?
Yes, there's a fee of 1.5 percent per deposit which is capped at NGN 2070.
Are there any deposit limits?
Yes, there's a limit of NGN 2 million per transaction. Further limits may also be dependant on the transactional limit as set out by your bank and 3D Secure. In order to deposit using the PayU method, you'll also need to be verified as at least a Level 1 Luno customer. This level of verification has a deposit limit of NGN 200,000.
How long does it take to reflect?
Deposits using PayU into your Luno wallet will reflect within a few minutes. At times they may take up to 10 minutes to reflect.
Can I fund from a debit or credit card that's not in my name?
No, we don't support third-party deposits. Deposits made from a debit or credit that's not in your name won't be allocated to your Naira wallet. If the funding account is debited, a refund will be made between 2-5 business days.
Third-party deposits also apply to third-party apps, which are non-banking payment platforms that you can use for transactions such as transfers and bill payments. When deposits are attempted from these apps, the depositor name is the third-party app, and not your own personal name. Therefore, they are treated as third-party deposits. Refunds on deposits made via third-party apps take longer than 5 days to process.
What could cause a deposit failure?
A failure in the deposit process could be caused by the following factors:
Processing delays on the bank’s side
Incorrect details specified during the deposit